Sunday, July 16, 2006

What's fuzzy and smells like fish?

My yarn, that's what! I took this pic of my latest creation, then ended up leaving it on the deck next to the smoker, in which I was smoking the first pink salmon of the year. I've heard of those so-called "aromatherapy" yarns that are infused with scent, but somehow I don't think "smoked salmon" would be a popular aroma.

90 yds... combed Corriedale with some Angelina sparklies

Oh well, I don't mind the smoky goodness of this yarn, and I am sure the scent will come out after washing. I like this skein... it makes me realize what Kureyon would look like if it smoked crack.

And, here is a gratuitous shot of me with one of the fish that went in the smoker. That's REALLY small, even for a pink salmon, but we are going out again tonight, so I will show more pics that prove I have "stream cred" in the near future. You should have seen the one that got away 10 min before I got this one. No, seriously! Also, I have to give a shout out to my friend Dave, who gave us a buttload of sockeye filets today! Although I think all salmon is good, sockeye is the best! They have a planktivorous diet, which makes the meat more rich.

First Pink2 2006

It's funny though, there are so many people in Kodiak that disdain anything other than sockeyes, cohos, or kings for eating... many people here think that keeping a pink salmon is below them. I call them "fish snobs". Whateves, after growing up around the depleted salmon runs of the Pacific NW, I'm just happy to be able to catch and eat WILD salmon all the time... just another reason why I feel so blessed to be here ;-)

2 Comments:

At 7/16/2006 8:08 PM, Blogger Wendy DG said...

That yarn is gorgeous. And...since I can't smell it, I'll say it again. Gorgeous!!

 
At 7/17/2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

You're silly.

You're gonna get a bunch of hits on your blog from people performing icky Googles.

And that sounds icky too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home