Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Back to my roots

Many months ago, when I first started this blog, I kicked things off with a post that still brings a smile to my face. This piece was composed prior to beginning this blog, and was the genesis for it. Since I so stupidly deleted this blog last month, I thought I would cheat on my blog a little today and post this entry, which fortunately I saved. Hope this makes you smile too...

January 10, 2006
As I was taking my first poo of the day and reading one of my ubiquitous knitting books, I came to one of my sharpest realizations: knitting and pooping are very similar. When I am knitting, I am often mystified by the process, sometimes dumbfounded at the little miracle I am creating. Sometimes knitting is painful and frustrating, sometimes it is smooth and uncomplicated. Sometimes I wonder, "Where the hell did that come from?" My boyfriend is often amazed at the things that I knit, although he pretends he does not care. Every now and then, some really interesting color patterns pop up in my knitting, depending on the materials used. Sometimes I just have to clench my teeth and know that it will all be over soon if I just stick with it. Sometimes knitting makes me cry, but more often than not, it brings me joy.

So, if you take the above paragraph, and replace "knit" with "shit", I think most of you will know what I am talking about. With both knitting and shitting, you start out with a given set of materials that totally change form as they pass through your hands or GI tract. And, whether knitting or shitting, no matter how much the finished project may stink, there is always that nice final sense of satisfaction, because you made it yourself.

1 Comments:

At 8/10/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

i. love. this. post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home