Saturday, July 22, 2006

lazy Saturdays...

Well, kind of. Woke up to more of this:


rainraingoaway


Which seems to lead to days like this:



sleepies


That's the BF nestled under the covers, with The Dog and Cat comfortably sharing space at the foot of the bed. I love that they are mortal enemies- save for when it comes to sleeping on the bed with one or both of their parents.

I finished Steve's Swirly Hat the day before yesterday. I would have a picture of me modeling it, but as you can see from the above pic, no one is available to photograph me.


steve'sfinihat


This is a modification of the Swirls Hat pattern by Carolyn Doe for Fiber Trends. I added a second band of swirls around the body of the hat, as well as the corrugated rib. I also played with using seed stitch to break up the areas of colorwork... I like how the interplay of knit and purl stitches when changing colors every round makes it look like you did something more complicated than it really is.

Have another spinning project on the horizon. When I was fileting pink salmon this past week, I was again reminded how Mother Nature really has the best color sense around. So, I created these two batts the celebrate the beauty of silvery gray and
salmon pink... they did come out pretty close to the colors of pink salmon filets.

pinksalmonbatts


Both batts are a blend of various shades of combed Corriedale roving. The grey is just that, with some teal, green, and periwinkle blended in, as well as some Silver Hologram Angelina to give it some sparkle. The salmon color is primarily a blend of pink and light orange, with bits of red, magenta, and fuchsia in there too. I was terrifically unscientific about deciding what proportions of colors to blend together- and I think they came out great! Had I have tried to be more precise, I am sure the blends would have been a disaster. I think that sums up my general approach to all things creative...

On an unrelated note, I am playing with the whole socks on 2 circs thing (yeah, I'm a little slow- I hate to do something just 'cause everyone else is doing it). I have to say, I'm digging the technique, although it takes some getting used to. And speaking of socks, I was going to knit some Argyles for my dad like, way back in the day and got frustrated. I must give a shout out to
this kind blogstress for giving me renewed hope in my ability to make Argyles, which I will hopefully have cast on today... or maybe I'll just go join the animals in bed ;-)

4 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 6:21 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Salmon colors--brilliant! I can't wait to see that spun up!

 
At 7/24/2006 5:35 AM, Blogger Wendy DG said...

Looks like a perfect knitting day to me. I'm visiting Maine, and that's what we've seen for the past 3 days. But, the sun is out today. :-) I love Steve's swirly hat.

 
At 7/24/2006 7:31 AM, Blogger Pyewacket said...

That 2nd pic is inspiring pure lust. Not for your bf, although he looks quite snugglable, but for a rainy day under the covers with the critters.

I must schedule one of those in about 10 years...

 
At 7/24/2006 12:44 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yep, I agree... he is quite snugglable ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home