Tuesday, August 08, 2006

oh yeah, all that and I knit too...

I figured that I should include some knitting content, considering my last entry was just one big vent. So, nothing too exciting, but here goes:

Still plugging away on Rick's blanket. It's reached stole size now (hmm... maybe he would wear a stole? No, I better just keep knitting.). His condition seems to be improving, but he has a long, crappy road ahead :-( I'll be able to give him the blanket in person when I travel down to the NW in September... the parents and I will take a road trip from Portland, OR (my hometown) up to Spokane, WA where Rick is. Wow, I never thought I would have to endure another long road trip with my folks (OK, so it's only like 7 hours, and they are wonderful, but you know) but it is for a good cause.


rickblankie

Also am making a pair of mock cable socks of my own design. In what seems to be a them of me using cheap-ass yarn for stuff, I'm working these up in Caron Simply Soft. For an acrylic yarn, it's pretty OK... would have never thought to use it, but a lady came into the LYS for sock help and that is what she was using. I liked the result, so here I am. Also, I like the notion of giving people something that is machine washable/dryable so that they do not end up with baby booties after throwing lovely wool socks in the washer/dryer.


mockcablesock

And, the fireweed is blooming. This is a sad time in Alaska, as the advent of fireweed blossoms means that summer is waning. And yes, this does pertain to the fiber arts... the woody stems can be harvested in late summer/early fall and retted to make twine. Also, the downy seeds are a very cool fiber (hmmm... maybe I'll card some up wth some wool. That could be cool.)


fireweed

So, that's it in me casa. I also have to say RIP to You Knit What? That's just sad- hopefully someone will take it over, as there is no shortage of terrible knitwear designs. Which leads me to my next topic. I will buy any knitting magazine I see at the supermarket. Usually, there is at least one intereting article and/or cool design that makes me justify buying it. So, when I purchased the latest issue of Creative Knitting (talk about a f--king misnomer there), I did not have high hopes (I mean, it is Creative Knitting) but I figured there would be some redeeming value. Guess what? Nothing. Not one damn design that I could be excited about. Fug, fug and more fug abounds in this issue, which also containes book reviews of things that have been out for a while (uhhh yeah, I think we all know that Mason-Dixon Knitting kicks ass). The only good thing were some cool scarf patts to promote breast cancer awareness (but umm... I'm pretty sure Knitty did that already). I mean, I just don't get it. How can someone actually take the time to design and hand knit a garment that looks like shit? More puzzling is the fact that this shit gets published and that these people actually get paid for their designs. There really should be a law...

3 Comments:

At 8/09/2006 6:30 AM, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh the fireweed. So sad when the blooms reach the top. My mom used to freeze the down/seeds and plant it the next year. And we used to cut the leaves off the stalks and use them as spears growing up--hee hee, you can get some good distance throwing those things at a little brother and/or sister...hee hee.

Carons simply soft for socks huh? Interesting, I know I've got at least a skein of that lying around somewhere. Hmm...

 
At 8/09/2006 7:30 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

I have to agree with the Creative Knitting... I've been grumbling about it since I got it in the mail weeks ago.

I did like the green scarf... but it's not complicated enough to justify the magazine. That issue convinced me not to subscribe in the future.

 
At 8/09/2006 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just can't justify subscriptions anymore except to 2 favorites. I have to see if there is anything in it before I buy. I agree about Creative Knitting especially this month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home